Maria Emma (Kempker, Egolf) Hile was born on Saturday, July 22, 1871 in New Germany (now Egg Harbor City), Buena Vista Township, Atlantic County, New Jersey. She was the daughter of Elizabeth (Rehmann) and Albert Kempker, Sr.

On Sunday, July 3, 1892 at the age of 20, Maria married Edward Egolf at St. James Lutheran Church in Folsom Borough, Buena Vista Township. Edward, who was born in Unterschefflenz in Baden, Germany on November 11, 1866, died of tuberculosis about six months later on January 22, 1893. They had one child: Edward Wilhelm Heinrich Egolf.

Maria married Frederick Martin Hile on Saturday, June 25, 1898. She was 26 and was 33 at the time. They were married at Zion's Reformed Lutheran Church in Folsom Borough in Buena Vista Township. They had five children.

  1. Esther W. (Hile) Caporale (1899-1980)

  2. Cora Catherine Hile (1901-1902)

  3. Frederick J. Hile (1903-1966)

  4. Matilda Hile (1905-1905)

  5. Emanuel George Hile (1911-1982)

In the 1900 and 1910 census reports, Maria and Frederick were living on a farm on Folsom Road, Winslow Township, Camden County, NJ with their children. By 1920, 1930 and 1940 reports, they were living on Mays Landing Road in Folsom Borough.

Maria died on March 4, 1943 at the age of 71. She was buried in the cemetery of Zion's Reformed Lutheran Church in Folsom Borough, NJ.

Frederick Hile was born on Saturday, May 13, 1865 in Winslow, Camden County. He died circa 1954 at the age of 89 and is also buried in the cemetery of Zion's Reformed Lutheran Church. In the 1940 census, he was listed as a laborer in the gravel industry making about $350 per year.

In the Rehmann Family many events since the mid-19th century have occurred at two churches located at 1341 Mays Landing Road in Folsom, New Jersey. (Some sources list the address being in Hammonton, NJ.) There can be some confusion since names of these churches are spelled in slightly different ways depending on the date or the document.

Starting in 1848, the original church was established as St Jacobus Lutheran Church to serve the local German immigrants. It was located on a 12 acre plot of land which included a cemetery.

In 1853, conflicts over theological issues caused a split in the congregation. The land was divided into two six acre sites and one was used to construct what is now St James Lutheran Church, originally St James Evangelical Church. Charles Rehmann (1826-1892) was on the St. James committee. A second facility called Zion Evangelical & Reformed Church was founded at that time. It is sometimes listed as Zion's or Zions.

About 1998 around the 150th anniversary of the original church, the two congregations reunited into St James Lutheran Church. The cemetery is often referred to by either name, St. James or Zion.