|
In
the Rehmann Family many events since the mid-19th century
have occurred at two churches located at 1341 Mays Landing
Road in Folsom, New Jersey. (Some sources list the address
being in Hammonton, NJ.) There can be some confusion since
names of these churches are spelled in slightly different
ways depending on the date or the document.
Starting in 1848, the
original church was established as St Jacobus Lutheran
Church to serve the local German immigrants. It was located
on a 12 acre plot of land which included a cemetery.
In 1853, conflicts over
theological issues caused a split in the congregation. The
land was divided into two six acre sites and one was used to
construct what is now St James Lutheran Church, originally
St James Evangelical Church.
Charles Rehmann (1826-1892) was on the St. James
committee. A second facility called Zion
Evangelical & Reformed Church was founded at that time. It
is sometimes listed as Zion's or Zions.
About 1998 around the 150th
anniversary of the original church, the two congregations
reunited into St James Lutheran Church. The cemetery is
often referred to by either name, St. James or Zion. |